05 December 2009

50 books a year

I have nine books left to read for this year!
I'm re-reading an old favorite series (which I'm counting; I spent time on reading it!)I'm not counting text books because there have unfortunately been some pages I've skipped :D

I'm also reading a book about a Chinese-American woman's adventures in San Francisco, so far fairly interesting. She writes in third person, because apparently that's how traditional Chinese writing is done - the idea of the "I" in a work of literature (or a poem, more likely) is frowned upon. I "borrowed" the book from my mom who raved about it, but I don't see where her praise comes from.

Not sure as to what to read next. I have some books that I'm nearly finished with but lost interest in. Should I just start something new?

My choices, according to my Goodreads account
Crime and Punishment - Heh, for some reason at school this is a conversation starter :/



The Prayer Room
- Also "borrowed" from my mother, during a garage sale. Interesting but I don't really remember much about it, and I don't want to re-read the first eighty pages.


On The Road- I actually enjoyed this! But while reading this, some bad things happened, so I associate it with that now. Dumb.


Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the Wes
t- Hah, I don't even remember starting this.

To The Lighthouse- Same as above. I'm really dumb.


Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time
- This was inspirational, I suppose. I would read it during one of my class breaks, but I had to stop due to more work.

The Trial- I liked The Metamorphosis, so I thought I'd try another one of his books. I stayed up late one summer night reading it on my computer, but I've since lost my place.

Nausea- I got into this because it's supposed to be one of the more interesting books dealing with depersonalization, but my feeble mind got lost in the mess. Sux.


Prague in Black and Gold: Scenes from the Life of a European City
- I went through a "omgggg I'm czech and I have 2 tell every1" phase this year, but then realized I knew nothing about Czech culture/history, other than what I'd read from Kundera. Summer apathy got the best of me, though.

Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama- This was on sale. I almost finished the book but I got distracted. I had no idea about Dalai Lama, and for this reason the book was rather enlightening. How he was selected, how they could tell he was the next incarnation...I want to believe it!!!!

Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela- Bought this for my mom as a gift and she never opened it. Guess I'm similar.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World- Je me deteste. Murakami is one of my favorite writers, and though different, this book engaged me. But right about the time I was set to finish this, I enrolled in school, had to study for entrance exams, and also got a job, which made me unbelievably happy, but also lazy.

Middlemarch- I started this as a method of forgetting about the past few months in WA, but ended up forgetting about the book.

Collected Stories- Started this in WA, so probably why I haven't continued it. I love Marquez, though :( I need 2 grow up.

Anna Karenina- When I told people I was starting this, they said that I wouldn't finish. I was all, hell no, ur old. They're still old, but also right.

The Blind Assassin- The Handmaid's Tale!!!!! Recurring theme, I'm dumb!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment